Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Moon Is Down

Next up is The Moon Is Down by John Steinbeck. It is one of his novellas and it is about the military occupation of a little town in Northern Europe. The occupying military is from an unnamed country at war with England and Russia. This novella was written to motivate resistance movements of occupied countries during WWII and most agree the 'unnamed country' is Germany and the occupying military force are Nazis. This should be a great book!!!

I really like John Steinbeck. I think he was a brilliant writer and I have never disliked any of his stuff. The thing with Steinbeck though, is that you need to be in the right mood to read it. If you don't feel like reading his stuff, you will be bored to death. But on the other hand, if you want to read it, you will eat it up. At this particular point in time I really am in the mood for his lengthy descriptions and relatable writing.

When I think Steinbeck I think America. It is absolutely amazing how he captures real America in his writing. Even though his books are so old they are still perfectly relevant to what is going on today. That is part of why I was interested in The Moon Is Down...because it is not about America at all. It will be interesting to see what feelings are captured in this book. I'm sure they are still relevant. That's why he is a classic writer :)

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment