Saturday, November 6, 2010

Good Omens: Wrap Up! & The Golden Compass

I finished up Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman yesterday. I didn't like it very much. I thought it was kind of slow with weird humor to begin with and then the end just dragged. I read a few reviews other people wrote and while the majority seemed to love this book, the ones who didn't like it had the same complaints as me. Something just felt really off about it. I even resorted to skimming some parts, just to see if maybe something was going to happen. I love Neil Gaiman, so I'm definitely disappointed.

Rating: 2/10

The Golden Compass, Deluxe 10th Anniversary Edition (His Dark Materials, Book 1)(Rough-cut)Next up is The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman. This is a part of the His Dark Materials trilogy. It is one of my boyfriends favorite series of novels and I promised him about three years ago I would read them. I tried to read The Golden Compass then, but stopped near the end because I couldn't get into it. Hopefully now I can. Sometimes that happens with me. When people tell me to read something I can't, but a little later when I decide to, I can. I watched part of the movie, starring Daniel Craig and Nicole Kidman, and I was put off by how different it seemed than  the novel. And by the voice of Lyra's daemon.My boyfriend has said a couple times that because I am an atheist, I might be able to appreciate it quite a bit. That is intriguing to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment