Friday, November 5, 2010

Banned Books

This is a list of 50 banned books that should be read. 

I think it must be a rule that at some point, all amazing books be banned. Just a quick glance at that list will show you tons of familiar titles. That is because the majority of these novels are considered classics. It absolutely blows my mind that people go all crazy trying to get books censored and banned. I thought I would share the books that appear on that list that I have read. I will let you all know how old I was when I read them and what my thoughts are.
  • Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger- This is one of my all time favorites. I was 16 when I read it for the first time. I related with it on some level then, but I didn't appreciate it until I reread it when I was 18 and out of school. I don't understand why it would be banned. If anything it was nice knowing that everyone feels angst.
  • Lord of the Flies by William Golding- I was 19 when I read this and honestly, it did bother me. I thought it was just so real. I think it is probably one of the most disturbing things I have ever read, and I have read some messed up stuff. I wouldn't ban this however. Not everyone feels the same way I do. Most highschoolers would probably be bored to death reading this.
  • The Harry Potter series by JK Rowling- I read this when I was 20. If you are against fun, adventure and whimsy then you would probably want to ban the Harry Potter series. It is insane that this would be banned.
  • The Giver by Lois Lowery- I must have been 11 when I read this. It was the first time I ever remember connecting to a novel. It really makes you think about life and the world we live in. I think this more so would bother adults than kids, so banning it is pretty stupid.
  • The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck- I was 21 when I read this and see no reason for it to be banned. It is an honest portrayal of the great depression and it incredibly relevant to today. I think everyone needs to read this. Even if you think Steinbeck is super boring.
  • The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown- Ultra-religious people need to calm down. They are the ones who ban this, right? It is a fun, fictional adventure. I read this when I was 16 and thought it was exciting and interesting.
  • 1984 by George Orwell-This is a depressing one. I read this just this year. So I was 22. I liked it a lot and don't really get why it would be banned. Like Grapes of Wrath, everyone should read it. It's probably where are world is headed.
  • Animal Farm by George Orwell- I was 21 when I read this. It's great and shouldn't be banned. Calm down, banners.
  • The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald-Okay, I honestly have no freaking idea why this book should be banned. It is an all time favorite of mine. I read it once when I was 16 and again when I was 18. I don't remember anything ban-worthy.
  • Brave New World by Aldous Huxley- I was 21 when I read this and I was luke warm on it. It is kind of like 1984, where it's a look at a terrible world future.
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini-Another all time favorite, I was 18 when I read The Kite Runner. With how touchy Afghanistan seems to be, I'm not surprised this was banned. It's really good and everyone needs to read it. It's a look into a culture many don't know about.
  • Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes- I love this novel. One of my favorites. I first read the censored version when I was 12 and then the real version when I was 16 and then again when I was 18. I think it is the only novel I have read three times. I'm not too sure about why this would be banned. There is an odd bedroom scene, but that is basically it.
  • Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck-I read this when I was 14. Great book. I'm not sure why this is a controversial book.
  • Native Son by Richard Wright-I read this when I was 21. For a while I considered it a very favorite, but it didn't stick like how I think favorites should stick. I can definitely see why people would want this banned. In this country people are down right freaked out about talking slavery and what black people had to deal with in this country until very recently. This is such an honest and amazing book. People should be literally forced to read it. It's one of those books where you have to read it to understand what I mean. It is a very important work.
  • Beloved by Toni Morrison-I was 20 when I read this. It's good. It has some really graphic stuff. Nothing ban-worthy, but I can see what people were thinking when they thought it should be off shelves.
  • In Cold Blood by Truman Capote-This must have been banned just for being graphic. I was 21 when I read it and I thought it was great! You would see and hear much more graphic things just watching T.V.
  • Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut-Love it! I was 20 when I read this and don't get why it would be banned.
So, as it turns out, I don't understand banning at all. It is pretty crazy and hair brained. From the novels on this list that I have read, I just think the most honest books are banned. Ones that make you take a good look at each other and the world we live in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment